Maitland Bay Information Centre
The Trust, in partnership with the NPWS, maintains the Information Centre at the Old Maitland Bay Store. It is open almost every weekend and is staffed by a roster of volunteers. The Trust holds its quarterly meetings in the downstairs area.
The original building, a fibro house that is now the downstairs part of the Centre, was built by John and Dulcie Wall in 1945 to house their growing family. From the outset a steady stream of passers by would drop in to get directions and a drink of water. This prompted the Walls to build an extension at the front to house a small shop and café in 1950 that was known as The Maitland store.
The trustees of the Bouddi Natural Park employed John Wall to do some work on the tracks and camping areas and held their meetings in the Store.
The building and business was sold to Ron and Thelma Hall in 1959. Ron continued the relationship with the trustees of the park and was appointed the first full time ranger in the early 1960’s. They sold the business in the late 1960’s but by 1970 it had declined and the shop closed. The NSPWS, established in 1967, bought the building in 1970 and it became the office and residence of the superintendent of the Bouddi National Park until 1974 when it became empty again and was scheduled for demolition.
Fortunately this decision was reversed and the demolition money went towards the refurbishment as a visitors centre which eventually opened in 1990. It is interesting to note that despite the building being built as a residence and business, it is its relationship with the Park and its role as a visitors centre that has persisted.
Since 1990, the Visitors Centre has been staffed by volunteers, largely from the Trust, and has been the site of many memorable exhibitions. If you are interested in volunteering at the centre call 43204224.
The shop window has become a permanent exhibition space.
In 2012/13 a substantial upgrade of the interior was carried out. New desks and permanent exhibitions were installed. In 2014 a new touch screen computer with internet access was added.